Tummy tucks are a famous cosmetic procedure. However, most of these procedures result in undesirable scarring. There are various steps you can take to avoid, reduce, and treat tummy tuck scars. Dr Audumbar who plastic surgeon in Navi Mumbai says that the most commonly recommended treatment for tummy tuck scars is laser skin resurfacing. When combined with different treatments, laser skin resurfacing is effective at minimizing the appearance of scars.
Why Opt for a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is beneficial for those who have:
- Reduced a lot of weight
- Completed pregnancy
- Experienced trauma to the abdominal region
New mothers can have many benefits from a complete mommy makeover. It addresses the tummy, the breasts, and the labia as well. Each of these cases includes the stretching of either the skin or the musculature of the abdomen. It happens till it can naturally return to its tightened, elastic state.
The abdomen’s skin and muscles serve an essential purpose. They maintain your complete posture, provide support to your lower backs, and keep your vital organs in place.
When skin’s structure and musculature becomes compromised, it can cause medical and aesthetic issues, like:
- Poor posture
- Loose or extra skin around the belly
- Urinary incontinence
A tummy tuck solves all such problems. However, for people who do not select their surgeon correctly, scarring can be an adverse effect of the procedure. This is the reason why it is imperative to choose an experienced surgeon to perform a tummy tuck.
What can you do to Prevent Scarring after the Surgery?
Your surgeon will provide you with the aftercare guidelines. It is crucial to follow them.
Few standard guidelines include:
- Try walking as soon as possible after your surgery as this decrease can reduce the risk of blood clots and swelling
- Consistently avoid smoking for a minimum of six weeks
- Have a healthy diet. Add liquids, fresh fruit, and vegetables
- Avoid lifting heavy things and prevent any strenuous activity for at least six weeks
- Reform from any activity that bends stretches, or causes you to apply pressure on your abdomen
- Prevent sexual activity for three weeks after the surgery
- Use topical vitamin E
- Do not forget your sunscreen
- Look for signs of infection
It is necessary to clean your incision regularly. It will keep your scar healthy and clean, reduce its appearance, also decrease your risk of infection. Consult your doctor if you get any of the following symptoms:
- Excessive bleeding near the incision line
- Increased or severe bruising, swelling, or redness that is not getting better
- Extreme pain that is not relieved from medication
- Greenish or yellowish drainage from the incision
- Any discharge that contains an unpleasant odor
- Loss of motion or feeling
- Oral temperature over 100.4°F (38°C)
- Chills or fever
What can you do if you still have Scars?
Most of your scar will heal after 12 weeks, but it may take a year for it to heal completely. You may need to wait until it has healed to decide if you require undergoing any surgical procedures that can reduce its appearance.
Choose Laser Treatment to Reduce Scarring
Laser treatments can reduce the scarring after a tummy tuck. Vascular lasers collapse the small blood vessels on the surface of your skin that causes redness.
Laser surfacing is among the best options to get rid of the texture and color of scars. It will resurface your skin. Your scarred skin is replaced with healthy collagen that improves the complete texture and color.
Consult your doctor to see the time you should wait before having laser treatment. Laser treatments are costly. If you do opt for this treatment, you will require more than two sessions, each a few months apart.
Remember, laser treatments cannot completely erase scars. However, they can reduce them to the extent that will make them nearly invisible.
You must take into account that a tummy tuck can give you a permanent scar. Think about your reasons for having a tummy tuck and the results you desire to have from it. If your desired results are more than the disadvantages of getting a scar, then it will probably be worth it. Do the steps before and after surgery to maintain a healthy healing process, which can significantly reduce your scarring.