A chin augmentation procedure is known as a genioplasty. The surgical method can be performed by cosmetic surgeons and maxillofacial surgeons (surgeons who operate on the mouth and jaw). Dr. Audumber, the skin specialist in Vashi, Navi Mumbai, performs the treatment with great care.
Genioplasty is most commonly known as an aesthetic procedure, which means that people get it done for the sake of enhanced appearance rather than for a medicinal complication.
This operation can be carried out in several ways:
- Moving your chin straight forward
- Moving your chin backward
- Side-to-side to get asymmetrical chins
- Vertical for making the chin longer or shorter
Now let us see the different kinds of genioplasty:
Chin implants and sliding genioplasty are the two most common forms of genioplasty.
Genioplasty with a sliding mechanism: In Vashi, Navi Mumbai, the dermatologist cuts your chin bone apart from the remaining jaw and moves it to rectify a chin defect in a slipping genioplasty. An osseous genioplasty is another name for this procedure. People with extreme retrogenia or a chin that is too backward in comparison to the remaining part of the face should have this kind of genioplasty. It will also aid in correcting the too long and pulled forward chin.
Chin implants: It may be used to enlarge, reshape, or move the chin forward in the face. Your skin specialist in Vashi, Navi Mumbai, may perform surgery or use injections as well.
Chin augmentation surgery includes inserting a silicone implant into your chin and attaching it with your bone. However, if you want to have a non-surgical process, you can use fillers, like your body fat, into the chin with needles. It will help you to improve its appearance.
Now let us learn in detail about sliding genioplasty:
The operation requires admission to a clinic or hospital. For the most part, the procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
- To begin, your dermatologist in Vashi, Navi Mumbai, takes your lip(lower) down and cuts the lower lip's gum beneath your teeth in the bottom jaw. Then he removes the chin bone from the soft tissue. For comparison, your surgeon cuts a thin vertical line in your chin. As a result, when the bone is pushed backward or forward, it remains straight.
- Then your skin specialist in Vashi, Navi Mumbai, cuts (horizontal) into the chin. Your doctor will also remove a slice of bone while having your chin pushed backward or made thinner. Your doctor may use screws and perhaps a metal disk to keep it in place.
- They cut the wedge of bone and reattach your chin to the remaining part of your jaw to shorten your chin.
- If you have surgery to pull your chin forward, you will see a "step" in the bone. Due to the absence of facial hair, women's steps are far more noticeable than men's. If you have this step, your surgeon can adjust the bone to hide it.
- Then your doctor stitches the incision and closes the area. He then applies compression tape from the outside to cover the region during the healing process.
Now let us discuss the following-up
- Your dermatologist in Vashi, Navi Mumbai, will tell you to consume antibiotics(oral) for two days after your surgery. Since oral stitches dissolve, you won't need to go back to the hospital to get them out.
- When you feel comfortable, you can resume regular eating habits. It is beneficial if you follow a soft-food or liquid diet. After each meal, you must clean your mouth using water or an antiseptic mouth cleaner.
- You should take off your wound dressings and compression tape after three to five days and resume your routine. For the starting ten days after surgery, do not work out. For six to eight weeks, refrain from participating in contact sports.
- Redness, swelling, or bruises can occur, but these should subside within a few days. If you have any of the following symptoms, call your doctor right away:
- A fever of 100.4°F or higher bruises, redness, or swelling that persists for more than a week
- smelling odor from incision, yellow or green discharge, bleeding