Scar revision surgery is a cosmetic surgical technique performed to enhance the look of scars and make them fit with the underlying healthy tissue. When you consult one of the best plastic surgeons in Navi Mumbai for scar revision, they often focus on removing the scars entirely or reducing their visibility.
The skin is the most visible and noticeable portion of the body. Everyone desires flawless skin, but an unsightly scar can spoil even the most perfect skin. Since scars are a result of accidents or surgery, they can occur anywhere on the body. The scars' size, color, or type is unpredictable because every injury and surgery is different, and there are multiple other factors involved.
The Different Types of Scars
- Contractures are long scars that drag on the skin and tighten it. They may also damage the underlying tissues, joints, and muscles, limiting the function and mobility of the affected body part. Burn wounds that heal like a large or puckered scar may cause contractures.
- Facial scars are ugly and affect facial expressions.
- Ice pick or pitted scars emerge from acne and blistering conditions such as chickenpox.
- Large or irregular scars develop from recent trauma or surgery.
- Keloid scars that develop beyond the boundaries of the initial wound or incision. These scars are discoloured, thick, swollen, and distorted in appearance and can be uncomfortable.
- Hypertrophic scars resemble keloid scars, but they are limited to the wound or incision's original borders.
Now, let's understand,
What is Scar Revision Surgery, and How it Works?
Scar revision is a cosmetic surgical procedure that aims to enhance or minimize the presence of scars. It also corrects skin modifications (deformity) caused by an accident, wound, slow healing, or prior surgery.
Who are the Best Candidates for Scar Revision Surgery?
People of all ages and genders can benefit from the scar revision procedures. An individual eligible for a scar revision is one who:
- Is medically fit
- Has a scar on the body and is troubled by it
- Is not prone to acne or skin infections due to surgeries
- Has fair hopes from scar revision surgery
The Different Types of Scar Revision Surgeries
- A punch graft is a method that includes punching out a layer of scarred skin and repairing it with a layer of scarless skin from another body area. Punch grafts are particularly beneficial for flat and intense scars such as acne scars.
- Scar excision includes taking out the scar and sealing the incision. A new scar will develop, but it will be less evident than the previous one.
- Z or W-plasty entails incising a set of triangular flaps over the scar in a "Z" or "W" shape. Cutting through fibrous tissue may form a new scar into usual creases and reduce a compressed scar.
The scar revision surgery doctor in Navi Mumbai might perform other procedures in conjunction with scar revision surgery. Among them are:
- Collagen infusion or autologous fat transfer can cover lowered or flattened scars.
- Dermabrasion or laser resurfacing can correct the upper layers of the skin to improve the color of the scar.
- Tissue expansion to create more skin near the scar to cover the area before the scar is removed.
- Skin grafting or skin flaps to replace scarred skin with healthy skin from another region.
What to Expect Before the Scar Revision Surgery?
- In the week leading up to the procedure, the doctor will ask the patient to do regular blood and urine examinations.
- To prevent any problems with the injections during surgery, the doctor might ask the patient to stop taking certain medications.
- If the patient is a smoker, they have to quit smoking a few weeks before the treatment.
- The patient should carry a companion because the patient will need assistance in getting home safely.
Now, let's know,
Which are the Steps Involved in a Scar Revision Surgery?
- The surgical procedure to improve the scar's appearance would be determined by the type of scar and the patient's needs.
- The first step is to administer local or general anesthesia.
- Further, depending on the degree, place, shape, and size of the scar tissue, the surgeon will perform routine scar revision, skin grafting, fat grafting, chemical peels, or Z plasty.
- The cosmetic surgeon will make a new incision to repair the scar and then cover the incisions.
What are the Side Effects of Scar Revision Surgery?
Scar revision surgery is a safe and effective procedure. But like every medical procedure, it also has some inherent risks.
Scar revision surgery includes the following risks:
- Anaesthesia risks
- Persisting pain
- Delayed healing
- Change in skin sensitivity
- Allergies to surgical materials
- Irregularities in skin contour
- Skin discoloration, or swelling
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Cardiac problems
- Permanent or temporary injury to deeper tissues, nerves, or blood vessels
Thanks to scar revision surgeries, your scar need not be a permanent part of your features. We hope this blog proved to be informational and insightful for you.